Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

What is the Sabbath for? Soil needs rest??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Q & A
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is the Sabbath for? Soil needs rest??

What is the Sabbath for? Soil needs rest?? 1 year, 3 months ago #3230

• Lael_N
  • Administrator
  • Family, medicine, travel
2 Chronicles 36:20-21

20 He carried into exile to Babylon the remnant, who escaped from the sword, and they became servants to him and his successors until the kingdom of Persia came to power.
21 The land enjoyed its sabbath rests; all the time of its desolation it rested, until the seventy years were completed in fulfillment of the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah.

I know that we must rest on the Sabbath because God says so. But the earth/ground itself needing its rest is something new to me. What are the reasons for the Sabbath? Or what is its purpose, aside from obeying God?
Above all else, do God's work and follow His commands.

May blessings and peace be yours,
In the name of Jesus

- Laƫl Nethania

Re: What is the Sabbath for? Soil needs rest?? 1 year, 3 months ago #3243

• mythirst
  • Administrator
Every seven years, God had ordered His people to let the land rest for the year, He promised to give them a double production on the sixth year so that the land will have rest to be able to produce more the year after (Exodus 23:10-11). This was the fallow ordered by God Himself. But Israel did not obey God. This is what Dr. David Guzik says about this verse:

To fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her Sabbaths: God had commanded Israel to observe a Sabbath for the land, allowing it to rest every seven years (Exodus 23:10-11). The people of Judah had denied the land its Sabbaths over a period of some 490 years, meaning that they "owed" the land 70 Sabbaths, and to fulfill seventy years God took the years back during the Babylonian exile.

i. This was promised to a disobedience Israel hundreds of years before: Then the land shall enjoy its sabbaths as long as it lies desolate and you are in your enemies' land; then the land shall rest and enjoy its sabbaths. As long as it lies desolate it shall rest; for the time it did not rest on your sabbaths when you dwelt in it. (Leviticus 26:34-35)

ii. Jeremiah spoke of the 70 years of exile in two places: Jeremiah 25:11-13 and Jeremiah 29:10.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds
>