• Page:

TOPIC: Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions

Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions 1 year, 3 months ago #3219

• Lael_N
  • Administrator
  • Family, medicine, travel
A few questions:
1. Isaiah 43:10 "before Me there was no God FORMED."
But God wasn't formed... right? Does he mean idols? Or is the translation just not smooth enough to convey what was meant?

2. Isaiah 44:18-19 when speaking of idols, this who form them and those who worship them as gods "they do not know or understand; for He has SHUT their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. And no one considers in his heart, Nor is there knowledge nor understanding to say 'I have burned half of it in the fire..."
I always get confused when it says God MADE people/nations do something that isn't good. Like when he sets it in the hearts of other nations to take over Israel, or when he hardened the hearts of people like Pharaoh in the time of Moses. Here it says He shut their eyes. I don't understand situations like that. Please explain.

3. Isaiah 45:9-10 "Woe to him who strives with his Maker! Let the potsherd of the earth strive with the potsherds of the earth! Shall the clay say to him who forms it, 'what are you making?' Or shall your handiwork say, 'He has no hands'? 10 woe to him who says to his father 'what are you begetting?' Or to the woman, 'what have you brought forth?'"
Verse 10 is the part that confuses me. It seems to be comparing how God is our maker to how we come from our parents? Is it saying that we shouldn't judge the children that come out of the parents? Or that we shouldn't judge parents for their children? I'm not entirely sure how we're meant to understand that...

Thank you!!
Above all else, do God's work and follow His commands.

May blessings and peace be yours,
In the name of Jesus

- Laël Nethania

Re: Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions 1 year, 3 months ago #3220

• mythirst
  • Administrator
1. Isaiah 43:10 "before Me there was no God FORMED."

God was not formed, He is. Remember when asked about His name by Moses, He said "I AM THAT I AM" then said "I AM sends you" Exodus 3:14. So He is the essence of existence, out of time, for in Him there is no past present or future. Time came with the creation of our world. With out also came our expressions. Men are created (Genesis 1:26-27), made, like when God said let Us make man in Our image. In chapter 2 it says He formed man from the dust. So when the prophet uses the word FORMED here, He refers to the understanding of men as to how they view their God as being formed, reason why they are always trying to form idols, trying to form their gods. It is the reverse of what God did in Genesis 1 where God made us in His image. Men are trying to make God in their own image. That is why God said they sold not do any image of God for they are already His image, second commandment. God is not formed, God is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lael_N

Re: Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions 1 year, 3 months ago #3221

• mythirst
  • Administrator
2. Isaiah 44:18-19. Here it talks about shutting their eyes and ears by God so that they would not see or hear. Hum, yes, you are right that it brings a lot of chills when taken in the sense of hardening the hearts of people like Pharaoh in the time of Moses. The sovereignty of God has been hard to understand at times because we try to read into it like the actions of a sovereign ruler, human kings or emperors of old, with their actions undisputed and followed blindly. Yes, God's will and word should be blindly obeyed. The difference it's that human rulers are tainted with the dart of sin and therefore are not holy, are not pure. When we talk about God sovereignty, we talk about the One and Only impartial and just and righteous and holy. The meaning of shutting their ears our eyes here as in other places is a way of just giving them up to their reprobate minds (Romans 1:28, read from 21 to 32).

When God takes Himself out of the picture, we still benefit from wisdom and thoughts and calculations. The difference is that His Spirit does not guide us or speak to us in any way. We are basically lost. We think that we are smarts and yet  we  are lost. The Hebrew expression translated here bears themeaning of God shutting His eyes and ears from whatever those people are doing. Now, because He can't not see or hear, the prophet renders it that way, God shut their ears and eyes.

Look. An application of this concept is our lack of faith especially when we have received the word of God. He can tell us to trust Him to solve our problem and we ignore it and decide to worry and look for solution ourselves. When we take it too far and decide to manipulate and calculate regardless of our spiritual responsibilities, like we decide not too be faithful in our giving or our involvement in His work because we think of our issues more serious than He has told us, then we might end up like these people, He might end up taking Himself out of the picture and we will get lost. We might continue to say His name and so on, yet He is not there anymore. That happens easily and we end up losing interest in prayer and devotions and spiritual activities. Then the ability to repent becomes hard.

Generally, in this type of situation, it is the call and prayers of other people like this prophet, those who love is and pray for us, that can bring back the word of God to us in their constant love and payers and wise advise. If we resist their love, it is because God is our of the picture. It becomes very hard, the expression, God had hardened our hearts is then applicable. But, now because of grace, the faithful pursuit of those who love us keeps the doors opened. It is difficult, and generally they suffer a lot in their love for us, trying to reach out to us and bring us back to our good spiritual life. That is the product of spiritual dryness.

This is very serious topic and very difficult concept. That is why I extended it. I hope I made it clearer.

Re: Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions 1 year, 3 months ago #3222

• mythirst
  • Administrator
3. Isaiah 45:9-10 God and parents. Hum,  you have to understand the context here. God is using the Gentiles or pagans to punish the Jews and they feel that it is not right. Why would God use those people yet they considered themselves as exclusive colder of God...

Verse 9. Anticipating the objections which the Jews might raise as to why God permitted their captivity, and when He did restore them, why He did so by a foreign prince, Cyrus, not a Jew ( Isaiah 40:27 , &c.), but mainly and ultimately, the objections about to be raised by the Jews against God's sovereign act in adopting the whole Gentile world as His spiritual Israel ( Isaiah 45:8 , referring to this catholicdiffusion of the Gospel), as if it were an infring ement of their nation's privileges; so Paul expressly quotes it ( Romans 9:4-8Romans 9:11-21 ). 

Let . . . strive--Not in the Hebrew; rather, in apposition with "him," "A potsherd among the potsherds of the earth!" A creature fragile and worthless as the fragment of an earthen vessel, among others equally so, and yet presuming to strive with his Maker! English Version implies, it is appropriate for man to strive with man, in opposition to 2 Timothy 2:24 [GESENIUS]. 

thy . . . He--shall thy work say of thee, He . . . ?

Verse 10. If it be wrong for a child, born in less favorable circumstances, to upbraid his parents with having given him birth, a fortiori, it is, to upbraid God for His dealings with us. Rather translate, "a father . . . a woman." The Jews considered themselves exclusively God's children and were angry that God should adopt the Gentiles besides. Woe to him who says to one already a father, Why dost thou beget other children? [HORSLEY].

Re: Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions 1 year, 3 months ago #3223

• Lael_N
  • Administrator
  • Family, medicine, travel
Thank you so much for your answers!! When you speak of God's grace now ensuring that the door between God and man doesn't shut entirely, are you referring to Christ's crucifixion? So His sacrifice literally keeps that door open to us and lets us have that direct connection with God where He's not just a distant, awesome being to be feared (as in the old testament) but our Father and our Friend?

And the prayers of loved ones help to keep us connected to God or seeing Him? Even when he lets us to the evils of our ways?
Above all else, do God's work and follow His commands.

May blessings and peace be yours,
In the name of Jesus

- Laël Nethania

Re: Isaiah 43-45 Devotion Questions 1 year, 3 months ago #3224

• mythirst
  • Administrator
-Always thirst for God -

About the follow-up question, yes, the prayers and love of those faithful servants around us makes a huge difference. It opens a door but does not replace our responsibility. It is like what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:12-15 when taking about the spouse of a believer that is sanctified by the believing one. They still have the responsibility to receive Christ for their salvation, but it is made ray for them for the sake of their believing spouse.

In the same manner, the payers and love of faithful servants of God around those who are going astay and not obeying the Lord, the prayers offered on their behalf give them an opening and ease their return to obedience and help them to avoid the fact that God could just remove Himself from their picture. Because God is so close to is, Christians, those called heirs of God in Romans 8:16-18, He listens to them and therefore keeps the doors opened to pull back to Himself. Being left by the Lord is very dangerous. People sometimes keep Christian language and habits but are far from Him. If no one is intervening and interceding for them, then the door could be shut for them and they might become hardened even going to church every Sunday.

Some Christians have let the pressures of life, bills, hard times, sickness, and so on, keep them away from serving and trusting God as they used to do. They become so weary of meeting ends meet that they neglect their filiation and divine childhood, they live as though they were not children of God. We really have to be careful and live obediently and faithfully our faith regardless of our circumstances.

Hope this is clear
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds
>